Monday, April 23, 2012

Doorway

I read a book when I was in the hospital the first time trying to deliver Virginia (I was in April 21-24). I received it from dear friends of mine called A Symphony in the Dark by Rebecca Mutz. She shares the story of her daughter Molly and it was so heartbreaking yet so encouraging the faith of this young couple. Some time later I found her blog on the internet and continued to be so encouraged by her. One thing that she talked about in her blog was that she did not call Molly's grave a grave but instead a "doorway". She did that based off of this poem:

By: Calvin Miller

"I once scorned ev'vy fearful thought of death,
When it was but the end of pulse and breath,
But now my eyes have seen that past the pain
There is a world that's waiting to be claimed.
Earthmaker, Holy, let me now depart,
For living's such a temporary art
And dying is but getting dressed for God,
Our graves are merely doorways cut in sod."

I think the poem is pretty special because it just reminds me that this life is so temporary and is preparing us for eternity. We need to share God's love with others so that they can join us in heaven. While I can't hold Virginia--she is being held by Jesus and this brings me such comfort.

We have never been the type of people to go to the cemetery to visit loved ones who have died, but since our daughter is there we try to go out at least twice a year. I figure that it is our only way on this side of heaven to take care of her. I know she is not there but for me right now it helps.

Here are some pictures of Virginia's "doorway" and Josiah :)




No comments:

Post a Comment